Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Step by Step - equine oil painting by Ivetta Harte, STEP 1

STEP 1

First I think about the idea and composition for several months. I look around myself and try to remember the details that I like and inspire me, the details that make me smile. I then start sketching and trying to find the best composition: where to do the horizon line, where to place the rider, what kind of movement and direction my composition will have, how will I guide the eye of the viewer around the painting? I might spend a couple of weeks just sketching and changing the composition. At the same time, I start thinking about the palette for that painting: again, I try to look around me and find the colors that I like. The color palette can be anywhere: it can be on TV, magazine, books or even on the net. I take a lot of photos and rip the pages of the magazines, I clip all of those to my easel - they will help me to stay on track and true to the color palette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home